Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration: clarifications

Bhushan Shah bshah at kde.org
Wed Apr 29 11:24:28 BST 2020

Good afternoon,

[Please keep sysadmin at kde.org list or bshah at kde.org in the CC for
replies]

I want to clarify some bits for which we have gotten a questions about,

- Non unique naming: There's some teams which prefer if we dropped the
  namespace- part from their name which we have added. While currently
  this does not result in the naming conflict right away, we realize
  this will cause it at one point, for example,

  maui-dialer -> maui/dialer
  plasma-dialer -> plasma-mobile/dialer

  To minimize the impact of the Gitlab move we won't be doing such
  renames which introduce non-unique names right away. But we would
  prefer if the existing tooling or infrastructure is ready for this
  kind of cases at later point. Only way to enforce non-unique naming is
  one big KDE/ subgroup which we want to avoid.

  Current naming in the repo-metadata branch[1] I've pointed does not
  reflect those renames, as we are not planning to do those renames
  right away during gitlab move, but at a later stage.

- Existing configurations: we want to reduce impact on existing release
  schedule, and existing developer workflow,  therefore we will continue
  to privide the existing anongit.kde.org and git.kde.org (although this
  will be read-only) with current flat structuring for 3 weeks after
  actual migration, which will keep the existing scripts/clones working
  enough to give developers time to change to the new structure.

  We will also try to provide a script which allows you to migrate your
  existing clones to new repo paths and as mentioned by Ben in other
  message, potentially a git-kde script which would allow you to clone
  individual repository without knowing it's namespace (provided that
  there is no conflict of it's name). like "git kde karchive"

- Translations: we will co-ordinate with the translations team to let
  them adapt their tooling to updated structure as this requires changes
  on their side how translations are stored in svn repository

Thanks!

[1] https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/repo-metadata.git/tree/projects-invent?h=bshah/invent

--
Bhushan Shah