Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Bhushan Shah bshah at kde.org
Wed Apr 29 05:46:55 BST 2020

Hello Johan,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 06:18:14PM +0200, Johan Ouwerkerk wrote:
> I would like to propose that the sysadmin team pick the layout that is
> easiest to *implement*, which I suspect is also the most like what we
> have now, and that we live with that. Unless there is a pressing need,
> like real hard data that we're losing contributors because they can't
> find our repos or a sysadmin burden that would be excessively higher
> than otherwise... let's keep things as simple and straightforward for
> syadmin and tooling maintainers to implement during the Gitlab
> migration.
>
> Let's worry about the perfect project layout once we've identified the
> need. That way it's a lot easier to garner consensus for a practical
> solution that isn't just a wishlist of all the features we would like
> but which Gitlab may or may not have and which tooling is probably
> completely unprepared for.

Going with flat namespace right now and then making whole thing non-flat
means double amount of work for sysadmins, once to migrate everything on
invent, and then later to their final home. It is equal amount of work
for contributors, once to migrate to invent URL and then migrate to new
grouping.

If setups needs changing, I'd rather change it now at once then later.

> By all means disregard this stuff if the pressing need has already
> been identified and I've either neglected to read e-mails properly or
> wasn't aware for some other, possibly historical, reason.

We have gotten a request for namespacing from projects on multiple
occassion, in cgit our workaround has always been that we prefix the
repo name with namespace- (i.e wikitolearn-courses-backend).

While this works out with our current workflow, it is not really
optimal. I've also mentioned various new contributor focused
requirements which lead us to this proposal for structuring in previous
emails.

--
Bhushan Shah
http://blog.bshah.in