Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Mon Apr 27 14:45:23 BST 2020

On 4/27/20 4:38 AM, Aleix Pol wrote:
> Does this mean that to clone it we'll have to go "git clone
> kde:games/knetwalk" or something along the lines?
>
> If that's the case I'd much prefer if we didn't do this, at the moment
> it's already uncomfortable for me to remember the URL for some of the
> repos (e.g. is it sysadmin/ or not?), this will only increase the
> problem and I personally don't see the advantage.
>
> e.g. Is okular graphics or office? Is gwenview plasma or graphics? Is
> krita graphics or its own thing?

Trying to categorize everything into a single group cannot succeed
because many projects could logically belong to multiple groups (e.g
plasma-framework is a framework that's a part of Plasma; Discover is an
app that's a part of Plasma; kdenetwork-filesharing and kio-extras are
libraries that are distributed via the apps release service). I foresee
endless pointless arguments about the best group for something to live in.

Let's step back: do we have to put every repo inside a group in the
first place? Is it solely so you can look at a nice list of all open
merge requests for PIM/Frameworks/etc? If so, perhaps this workflow
could be approximated with tags instead or group assignments instead

We create many very granular groups for the purposes of organizing teams
and and performing code review (e.g. Plasma, KWin, Frameworks, PIM,
Krita, Dolphin, Okular, VDG, etc.) and then every new merge request
could receive a tag or assignee corresponding to its relevant code
review groups (e.g. merge requests for kio and kio-extras could get get
tagged with both "Frameworks", and "Dolphin"; plasma-frameworks MRs
could get tagged with both "Plasma" and "Frameworks", and so on).

So +1 for a single top-level group I suppose.

Nate