Qt, Open Source and corona

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 05:01:47 BST 2020

El jue., 9 de abr. de 2020 a la(s) 09:01, Florian Bruhin
(me at the-compiler.org) escribió:
> One possible reading of Olaf's original mail is that TQtC simply was bluffing
> in order to force "negotiations" about some other part of the agreement they
> don't like:
>
>   The Qt Company says that they are willing to reconsider the approach only if
>   we offer them concessions in other areas.
>
> Indeed, they now released a (very brief) announcement[2] claiming that they,
> apparently, never meant things that way:
>
>   There have been discussions on various internet forums about the future of Qt
>   open source in the last two days. The contents do not reflect the views or
>   plans of The Qt Company.
>
>   The Qt Company is proud to be committed to its customers, open source, and
>   the Qt governance model.
>
> Needless to say, after more and more moves against the open-source side of Qt
> recently, I place a lot more trust in statements coming from KDE rather than
> those coming from TQtC...

I agree it's possible that "we're thinking about restricting ALL Qt
releases to paid license holders for the first 12 months" was just to
force our hand and make us give them other concessions, and that
they're not actually planning to do it.

But that's what the fork discussion is about. As Nate said, "we are
thinking of forking Qt" and having credible ability to do so, might
force *their* hand and make them take a step back. If then
negotiations go well, we don't need to actually fork. *Worst* case,
negotiations don't go well, and we have a head start on the forking
work.

--
Nicolás