Update on Status of Gitlab Migration

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Apr 14 03:36:56 BST 2020

On 4/13/20 6:59 PM, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Why do we need to mimic them?
>
> If you Google "KDE Gitlab" then the first hit is invent.kde.org
> <http://invent.kde.org>.

To flip it around: why do we need to do something different? I don't
think it's about mimicking anyone else, but rather using the most
intuitively obvious domain name rather than some arbitrarily different one.

No matter what, we're all going to be talking about "KDE GitLab" or
"KDE's GitLab instance". The title of the relevant documentation page is
"GitLab" (much as the Phabricator documentation page was named
"Phabricator"). And when the migration is complete, we're all going to
announce that "KDE is now using GitLab!" So the cat's out of the bag on
using the word "GitLab" and avoiding some number of people looking for
our stuff at gitlab.com and not finding it there. invent.kde.org doesn't
avoid that at all.

Given that, which is more confusing: explaining to people that we have a
GitLab instance at invent.kde.org, or explaining to people that we have
a GitLab instance at gitlab.kde.org?

I know that over the next few years I'm going to be directing hundreds
of people towards our infrastructure, and I would rather be able to say
"please submit a pull request at gitlab.kde.org" rather than "please
submit a pull request at KDE's GitLab instance at invent.kde.org."

I know this probably feels like annoyingly extreme bikeshedding, but, I
dunno, names are important.

Nate