Help with sorting out unmaintained repos in the playground

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Apr 7 11:14:35 BST 2020

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 8:48 AM Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:

> On Montag, 6. April 2020 11:52:57 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:

> > > What will happen to unmaintained repos? Will they be removed? There are
> > > quite a few in there, which are dead but I would like to keep for
> > > archiving purposes. If KDE's repositories are not the right place for
> > > this, I'll move them to GitHub? Or is there a better solution?
> >
> > They will be imported into Gitlab, and then archived.
> > Archiving a project in Gitlab makes it read-only and removes it from
> > the normal search processes but still leaves it accessible should you
> > be looking for archived projects (or have the url for that project to
> > hand)
>
> And where could we place repos that may just see a commit every few months to
> keep them compiling but being otherwise unmaintained? I.e. read-only won't cut
> it for e.g. kdev-css as apparently it's otherwise somewhat usable or so I
> heard.

Then that isn't really unmaintained, as people are looking after it
still, even if it is very infrequently.

The repositories we are trying to eliminate are those that:
a) Haven't been touched in a very long time; or
b) Never made the move to Qt 5 / KF5; or
c) No longer compile and have nobody interested in fixing this

The ones you say are 'dead' should meet the criteria above, while the
KDevelop ones you are talking about (like kdev-css) do not meet that
criteria.

> What's the advantage of making a repo read only and archived compared to
> keeping it a "normal" playground app? Is CI or similar being run regularly?
> Could this be disabled instead on these repos?

The advantage of archiving a repository is that it no longer clutters
up the normal list of repositories people view.
Once archived, it is being kept as a historical record (including
reviews, tasks, etc associated with it), with the possibility of it
being restored to being active again easily enough.

The objective of this is to make active projects more discoverable and
visible while preserving our history for future reference.

The projects you are discussing here do not meet the criteria of being
unmaintained, and should in an ideal world (if they're usable) transit
through KDE Review to Extragear.

> Thanks a lot

Cheers,
Ben