Regarding KDE Privacy policy

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 00:10:02 BST 2020

El sáb., 29 de feb. de 2020 a la(s) 11:00, Johan Ouwerkerk
(jm.ouwerkerk at gmail.com) escribió:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 9:06 PM Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Not publishing the raw data right from the start was mainly a safety measure,
> > to give us a chance to review the data and fix de-anonymization issues should
> > any have slipped through.
> >
> > There's also technical limitations, the current system has no fine-grained
> > access control, not even read vs write access.
> >
> > For publishing aggregated data, I think that's already "allowed" right now,
> > just nobody has built an automated way of doing that yet.
> >

> What kind of views do we want? Histograms, averages, min/max, that
> sort of thing? In that case maybe something like
> https://grafana.com/grafana/ is a good idea.
> I'm assuming here that people would mostly want to get an
> idea/overview of a certain set of metrics, rather than manual querying
> or in-depth data analysis.

Grafana doesn't calculate averages or min/max. It sends arbitrary
queries from the browser to the database to make the database
calculate that, and then displays it in a nice graph.

We would need to do careful aggregation and anonymization on the
server, put that on a *separate database*, and let Grafana only access
that.

--
Nicolás