Help with KDE PIM and Google Privacy Policies needed

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Mar 6 15:34:32 GMT 2020

On Thursday, 5 March 2020 23:20:51 PST Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> If I add my Google account to KDE PIM, it will sync my email and
> calendar events with Akonadi. Third-party apps can then access my
> email and calendar events via Akonadi.
> If I add my Google account to iPhone, it will sync my calendar events
> with the system calendar database. Third-party apps can then access my
> calendar events via EventKit.
> If I add my Google account to Mozilla Thunderbird, it will sync my
> email with its database. Third-party addons running inside Thunderbird
> can then access email content.
>
> Apple can give its million appstore apps access to Google calendar
> data, and Mozilla can let addons access email data, but we can't? What
> do they do differently?
>
> Also, Linux desktop systems are usually not sandboxed. [cut]

Given that last, should those third-party plugins be considered third party at
all? Those plugins are running in the user's set up, installed and configured
by the user, using the same permission domain as Akonadi. Shouldn't therefore
they be considered "first party" -- that is, the same party as Akonadi itself?