Help with KDE PIM and Google Privacy Policies needed

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:07:09 GMT 2020

> On 6 Mar 2020, at 11:26, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Martin Flöser - 06.03.20, 13:14:36 CET:
>> Am 2020-03-06 08:20, schrieb Nicolás Alvarez:
>>> Apple can give its million appstore apps access to Google calendar
>>> data, and Mozilla can let addons access email data, but we can't?
>>> What do they do differently?
>>
>> The only thing they do differently is that they have a permission
>> system in place. Doesn't apply for Thunderbird of course which means
>> we should look at their privacy policy. Though we should never ask
>> Google "Why is Thunderbird allowed?" as we don't want that
>> Thunderbird gets access revoked.
>
> I ask a different question:
>
> Why – at all – rely on a provider who dictates on who gets access to it
> and who does not? Why – at all – rely on a provider who by doing so
> creates a walled garden?

That's something you should go ask the thousands of users complaining that they can't connect to GMail using KMail. They're the ones relying on the provider. Go to the bug report and tell them the solution to their KMail errors is to stop using Google services. That should go well :)

--
Nicolás
Sent from my GMail account ;)