Help with KDE PIM and Google Privacy Policies needed

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Mar 6 12:14:36 GMT 2020

Am 2020-03-06 08:20, schrieb Nicolás Alvarez:
> Apple can give its million appstore apps access to Google calendar
> data, and Mozilla can let addons access email data, but we can't? What
> do they do differently?

The only thing they do differently is that they have a permission system
in place. Doesn't apply for Thunderbird of course which means we should
look at their privacy policy. Though we should never ask Google "Why is
Thunderbird allowed?" as we don't want that Thunderbird gets access
revoked.

> Also, Linux desktop systems are usually not sandboxed. If we didn't
> have Akonadi, and KOrganizer/KMail/etc used their own databases to
> store data without intending to share them with other apps, other apps
> could *still* access the data via the filesystem. Mozilla Thunderbird
> is approved by Google, and KWin theoretically *could* access my email
> because it can read ~/.mozilla. Sure, in practice it doesn't; but in
> practice it also doesn't access Akonadi.

Maybe we are just too open about what Akonadi can do in the privacy
policy. Which I think is a good thing. On the other hand I'm sure that
Mozilla doesn't state that any app could read the storage. Perhaps we
need to sell Akonadi differently.

Cheers
Martin