Welcome, Adam!

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 06:20:54 GMT 2020

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 12:37 PM Adam Szopa <adam.szopa at kde.org> wrote:

> Dnia sobota, 22 lutego 2020 21:32:47 CET Lydia Pintscher pisze:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > last year we were looking for someone to help us with project
> > coordination tasks. Today I'm happy to let you know that we have found
> > a great person. I'd like to introduce you to Adam Szopa who will be
> > working with us from now on. I'll let him say more about himself.
> >
> > Adam's focus will be on supporting the goals - especially in the first
> > months. He'll help with setting up regular calls, reporting progress,
> > goals sprints organisation as well as any other organisational things
> > the goals keepers need support with to make sure the goals make good
> > progress. After that Adam will also have some time to help with other
> > project coordination tasks beyond the goals. If your team would like
> > to take advantage of that please reach out to me and Adam.
> >
> > Please give him a warm welcome.
> >

> > Cheers
> > Lydia
>
> Hello KDE community!
>
> Thank you Lydia for the introduction. I'll take a few moments to talk
> about
> who I am, and how I want to help KDE become the organization it deserves
> be.
>
> I've worked for several years as a software developer for various
> companies,
> but in the last few years I've found that I can bring even more value if I
> take on a more management focused role. And so, my programming time has
> turned
> into occasional Kata exercise in Rust, and my job is helping developers
> however I can in  achieving their goals, and helping management be more
> organized and informed.
>
> My experience with KDE started when I found early screenshots of the new
> upcoming Plasma 5 desktop. Around that time I was looking to move my main
> PC
> from a different ecosystem, and something with that new look really
> resonated
> with me. Let me tell you, the early "Kubuntu Plasma 5.0 alpha preview"
> system
> was, wild, unstable but very exciting! I'm very glad I stuck with it, and
> witnessed the evolution into the desktop it is today. Eventually I moved
> KDE Neon, and that's where I'm at now.
>
> KDE is an amazing community. No matter if you're an active contributor, a
> bug
> submitter or just a user of the software, you help create a better digital
> environment for thousands of people, an environment that is aligned with
> the
> KDE vision (https://community.kde.org/KDE/Vision). And while the
> community
> itself is growing, and the software reaches new and new people every day,
> the
> hurdles of maintaining the organization part of it all grow as well.
>
> And this is were I come in. As Lydia mentioned I will first focus on
> [...]

Welcome Adam! I'm working with the Community Working Group and the
Onboarding initiative. Not that onboarding is new, but we've been trying to
get a work group together since Akademy last year. It seems all of us have
been too busy onboarding new folks to do the paperwork and meetings that
the Board would like. We've just finished the Season of KDE program and are
now in the beginning of the Google Summer of Code gear-up.

Glad to have you helping us out!

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her