A safe haven for the community's memories

Piyush Aggarwal piyushaggarwal002 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:15:25 GMT 2020

  Thanks for taking this discussion forward, Adriaan and Carl.

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 14:24, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 27 January 2020 07:27:42 CET Piyush Aggarwal wrote:
> > > Almost always, photographs, videos and other forms of digital
> memorabilia
> > > are so badly dispersed among the attendees, many of us have barely any
> > > photographs from the event. The only way to get the photos we want is
> by
> > > immediately getting the photographs on our phone then and there, during
> > > the
> > > event. The alternative after the event concludes and everyone is back
> home
> > > safely, is to expect the sender to send the photographs as a mail
> > > attachment or some other way that is generally a pain.
> > > So, this mail thread aims to initiate a discussion on the prospect of
> > > setting up a Kloud, of sorts.
> > > The current best solution as far as I know, is https://share.kde.org ,
> > > which is limited to just 100 MB.
> > > Would it be feasible for the KDE Community, especially our sysadmins,
> > > host a server for this purpose? :-)
> > >
> > > References
> > > [1] : https://las2019.bcnfs.org/doku.php?id=wiki:lasphotos
>
> There was a discussion -- it's a sysadmin ticket, I don't know if it's
> readable for all -- at https://phabricator.kde.org/T12026 for a similar
> situation with LAS photos. Not the *same*, though, since that was also for
> "raw" materials to be shared with video editors and other PR people.

I cannot access that task, Adriaan. Perhaps if the task does not include
any sensitive content, we can put it on the promo task board for everyone
to help us with? :-)
Anyways, after some discussions with Paul, I think we have a solution for
future events.
The Photos folder on share.kde.org currently hosts photographs for Promo
sprint (Barcelona,2018), Akademy (Vienna,2018), FOSDEM (Brussels, 2019) and
this year's conf.kde.in (Delhi).
share.kde.org also has good support in terms of user access control- users
can be limited to adding new photographs, but not deleting any already
uploaded files. I can confirm this works just as expected.
So, the solution proposed here is- we can share read & upload-only
permissions to the Photos folder to all KDE identities, and create a new
folder per-event.
Would that be feasible?

Best
Piyush Aggarwal