Proposal: Allow REUSE compatible License Statements in License Policy

Johan Ouwerkerk jm.ouwerkerk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 20:18:36 GMT 2020

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 3:19 PM Andreas Cord-Landwehr
<cordlandwehr at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi, after the comments for my initial licensing policy draft, I prepared an
> update:
>
> - current version of the draft: https://community.kde.org/Policies/
> Licensing_Policy/Draft_SPDX_v2

One thing that is not entirely clear to me is what our position would
be towards e.g. *.license files or DEP5 files as suggested by the
REUSE spec.
The current wording seems to suggest to me that these approaches are
not considered. Is this deliberate or an oversight? I.e. is the REUSE
spec the "spirit" of how implementation of licensing should be done,
or is policy deliberately more strict in omitting such options?

This also leads to my next question: what about e.g. test data? As I
read the draft policy, these would fall under section 15, being "other
data files" and so should be licensed according to sections 4 or 5.
This would seem to preclude CC-0 or even CC-BY-SA type licenses for
test data sets. Is that also deliberate?

Finally, section 6 seems to be somewhat disconnected from the rest of
the document: section 15 does not permit for "other data" to be
licensed under section 6, and a pedantically narrow reading of section
5 ("must") seems to preclude section 6 ("may") entirely.

Regards,

- Johan