Planet KDE posts not about KDE (was: Re: Please don't make planet.kde.org into a politics feed)

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 01:01:26 GMT 2019

Le 2019-12-05 à 10:45, Nate Graham a écrit :

> On 12/5/19 8:01 AM, Dominik Haumann wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 1:24 PM Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:
>>> But they don't, so your calculation is about solving a problem that
>>> doesn't currently exist.
>>
>> +1
>>

> +2, let's propose fixing the problem when there actually is a problem,
> not when we suspect that there might at some future point be a problem
> if people don't behave well.

I'm afraid the problem is already there. The problem starts from the
moment a member posts an unrelated post, when someone who is not
interested in it starts reading.

> I would prefer to put my trust in the community behaving well so we
> don't need a bunch of rules to govern behavior.

The rule is already there. What Christian proposed is not a rule, but a
filter to allow readers to get a feed better matching what they look for.

That being said, while Christian's proposal is not bad, in reality,
every one of us is somewhere on a spectrum of interest for blog posts
about KDE, and somewhere on a spectrum of interest for blog posts by KDE
contributors about topics other than KDE. I believe the best solution
can only be reached by defining each post's level of KDE interest and
level of non-KDE interest, and each reader's position on these spectrums.

In fact, in particular for cases like politics, for which some people
have very little interest while some have a lot, collaborative filtering
would provide the very best results. But realistically, that would
require too much investment, unless this is implemented for more than
Planet KDE, also for other KDE systems.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com