Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 00:56:22 GMT 2019

Thank you very much for this summary Ben

One addition to the discussion (not to the summary): For my part, every
time I have to deal with Git, I end up shaking my head in disbelief at
its* immaturity (and I've only started using it 3 years ago). And I've
been using VCS-s for over 15 years, so I understand the will of
translators to remain on Subversion (or at least, to avoid Git).

*: I speak not only of Git here but also of its front-ends like
TortoiseGit and GitLab's web view

Just one correction below...

On 11/11/2019 05:26, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This has been quite the long thread for one that was started only
> around 2 days ago, so thought I would summarise things:
>
> On the topic of removal of the Subversion mirrors, there have been no
> objections, so we will proceed with this.
>
> With regards to removal of access for everyone but translators, there
> have been two objections noted to this. One concerned compliance with
> the Manifesto, whilst the other was concerned with creating obstacles.
> Given that restricting access to the websites is still compliant with
> the Manifesto despite the lack of a clear clause permitting this I
> don't believe that not granting access by default to Subversion should
> be an issue, so would like to proceed with this as well.
>
> That leaves the last point, which has generated the most contention,
> the removal of WebSVN (websvn.kde.org).

The engine used by websvn.kde.org is not WebSVN but - as can be seen in
HTML source - ViewVC.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com