Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Nov 12 19:48:11 GMT 2019

On Dienstag, 12. November 2019 13:11:43 CET Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Māris Nartišs ha scritto:
> > pirmd., 2019. g. 11. nov., plkst. 16:02 — lietotājs Luigi Toscano
> >
> > (<luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>) rakstīja:

> >> For the record, the current checkout (without svn metadata) of
> >> trunk/l10n-kde4 (ok, no more needed), branches/stable/l10n-kde4,
> >> branches/stable/l10n-kf5, branches/stable/l10n-kf5-plasma-lts,
> >> trunk/l10n-kf5 and trunk/l10n-summit is ~11 GiB. The trunk/l10n-kf5
> >> branch alone is 5.3 GiB.
> >
> > One of pro sides of SVN still is ability to work with a single
> > directory instead of whole repo. For Latvian language it means using
> > only ~300MB of disk space (I have less than 1GB free space on my
> > laptop). Thus if a move to GIT is planned, I would vote to have a
> > separate repo for each language.
>
> Right, but that would make the life of people doing bulk changes (like me)
> much more complicated. Right now I can do all the changes in one shot.
> That's part of the problem.

It's seems this could be solved with tooling. Jack already proposed using git
submodules. At work I'm solving the problem with a simple bash-script which
loops over 10-20 repos to do a git pull/rebase/push on all of them. Yes, merge
conflicts occur from time to time, but they would occur regardless of the
number of repos involved.

Regards,
Ingo