Sysadmin Load Reduction: Project Specific Sites

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Nov 12 19:27:05 GMT 2019

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 4:10 AM Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

> Hi Ben,

Hi Thomas,

> On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 12:50:07 +1300
> Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> > - RKWard (rkward.kde.org): This site is currently based on Mediawiki,
> > which is substantially more difficult to maintain and keep updated
> > compared to a site built using Hugo, Jekyll, Wordpress or Drupal.
> >
> > Given that the site was last updated back in early 2018, i'd like to
> > make this static, and should updates need to be made in the future the
> > content can then be converted at that time into something more easy to
> > maintain.
>
> please not static. I know we have not been active of late, but it
> totally won't help, if we need to climb a hill of administrative tasks,
> before we can even get starting thinking about making a new release.
> Frankly, we did not come to KDE back in the day in order to increase
> our administrative overhead...
>
> We're really open to solutions of all kinds. Twice sysadmin had
> proposed to somehow unify the rkward mediawiki installation with
> the techbase and userbase installation. We gave green light on both
> occasions, but nothing happened after that.

Apologies for that - in each instance the person who was going to work
on it disappeared.

> I wouldn't mind any other hosting solution, really, it doesn't have to
> be wiki-based. Provided that we can have a - relatively - smooth
> migration path, and that we don't have to switch to something new yet
> again, in two or three years.

Would something based on Markdown be sufficient for this?
There appear to be Mediawiki -> Markdown converters out there we can
use which will get us 95% of the way there.

> Regards
> Thomas

Cheers,
Ben