Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 13:34:26 GMT 2019

вс, 10 нояб. 2019 г. в 18:09, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>:

> Nate Graham ha scritto:

> >> Not necessarily in order:
> >> - Experiment conversion to git and see if the resulting repo(s) are of
> >> a reasonable size (I vaguely recall seeing bad results with this)
> >> - Convince and teach every translator to use git (expect lots of friction here)
> >> - Make scripty use git instead of svn (likely lots of work)
> >> - Some language teams have their own tooling (local for translation,
> >> or web for statistics) that would need to be gitified too. For
> >> example, the Spanish team developed KSvnUpdater.
> >> - Update lots of documentation in different languages (eg.
> >> https://es.l10n.kde.org/repositorio.php)
> >>
> >> You may even need to migrate languages one by one (as you convince
> >> each language team?), so in the meantime all tooling would need to
> >> support both repos at the same time.
> >>
> >> It doesn't sound like fun...
> >
> > Thanks for the background.
> >
> > If we're going to keep SVN, I think we need to fully support it. If we don't
> > have the resources to do this on an ongoing basis, then we need to invest the
> > resources now/soon to move away from it. I don't see any other realistic options.
>
> New resources is the solution. Please see the other emails: the problem
> discussed is not subversion itself, but the web interface.
>

> > Again, from a totally non-translation perspective, I am somewhat surprised to
> > hear that individual translators are required to be proficient in a source
> > control system. Perhaps de-coupling the workflow from direct interaction with
> > the SCM would be beneficial? Isn't this what GUI apps like KLocalize do? If
> > not, can it be modified to do the SCM interaction? This seems like a solvable
> > problem.
>
> Most of translators are not so technical as the developers. And even
> developers can shoot them in the foot with git, I see many issues coming from
> unwanted merges.
> Also, in addition to some of the problem described above (not all of them are
> blocker IMHO), more relevant: how would you convert the SVN repositories into git?
> - a unique repository would be the easier way, and required by people who do
> changes to all the languages (renamed and moves) but I can only foresee tons
> of merging issues when committing (see above).
> - a repository per language would mean a tons of work whenever you need to do
> a global operation, and right now it's a no go.

Hi Luigi,

We can block unwanted merged on the server with a Git hook like this:
https://github.com/FabreFrederic/git-hook-pre-receive-reject-merge-commit

> >> - Experiment conversion to git and see if the resulting repo(s) are of
> >> a reasonable size (I vaguely recall seeing bad results with this)

I expect that a single Git repository would be several GBs in size.
Cloning the whole repo would be too much for some translators, however
the new Git feature "git clone --filter" might be a solution:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/468182

Shall I create a new Phabricator task "[WIP] Migrate translations from
SVN to Git" so we can put relevant ideas in one place?

--
Alexander Potashev