General Infrastructure Maintainability: API and EBN

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 01:56:43 GMT 2019

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 10:22 AM Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, November 9, 2019 10:03:37 PM CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > The problem isn't just the complicated legacy nature of them, but also
> > how fragile and impossible to maintain they are.
>
> Just as an example, the EBN (hm .. I no longer redirect EBN.org to the KDE
> site) still embeds a comment in the front page about a research project that
> ended in 2006 and points to my blog that stopped working in 2011.
>
> I like Alexander's suggestion to make a Phab task for it. I'd dearly love to
> spend some time reinvigorating this stuff, but .. time is precious. I remember
> when re-tooling APIDOX around 2010 that it worked fairly effectively *because*
> we (the university of Nijmegen at the time) had a full SVN repo mirror locally
> for research purposes. That's no longer the case.

I've now written up what will be needed for this at
https://phabricator.kde.org/T12004

Fortunately time wise I don't think it will be too intensive.

Assuming no major issues are hit with Part 1 (the actual generator)
that is - although given it currently works for the most part with
Frameworks already, it should be fine with about the only complicated
part potentially being QCH support.

Part 3 will be a case of adapting stuff we already have (i'd estimate
about 2 hours worth of work, maximum) and Part 2 once a HTML template
is available should be a case of scanning YAML format files and then
rendering out the necessary information.

> [ade]

Cheers,
Ben