Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 01:13:30 GMT 2019

On 09/11/2019 16:07, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:32 AM Albert Vaca Cintora
> <albertvaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 6:53 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>>> Unfortunately Rosetta does not have the necessary free disk space, as
>>> the Subversion repository is approximately 80GB these days in size,
>>> and operating WebSVN requires a full copy of the Subversion repository
>>> locally in order to operate.
>> Is this also the case if you run WebSVN next to the SVN server itself
>> (ie: on the same machine)? If a single repo copy can be shared by
>> WebSVN and the actual SVN server, that would reduce the storage needs.
> Running WebSVN on the same machine is not safe for us to do, because
> certain requests cause WebSVN to generate a substantial amount of
> system load, and have caused out of memory events on systems running
> it in the past.

I know nothing about WebSVN internals, but if that's the only issue,
PHP's memory_limit setting should allow avoiding such as issue:
https://www.php.net/manual/fr/ini.core.php
Do realize that this setting only affects a single script's usage though
- it will avoid one script execution going berserk, but if we really
want to set an overall WebSVN limit of 4 GB for example, we probably
need to set memory_limit to - say - 512 MB - but also the max number of
concurrent requests to 8.

I personally used WebSVN for translation issues a few times. I wouldn't
have helped as much without it. I would find it unfortunate if
translations could no longer be viewed from the web. I would consider
that issue as somewhat strategic, since many start contributing by
getting involved in translations... and a web access to translation
helps getting involved in translation.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com