Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 00:37:47 GMT 2019

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:47 AM Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau at kde.org> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 9. November 2019, 21:22:16 CET schrieb Ben Cooksley:
> > On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 8:37 AM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > > El dissabte, 9 de novembre de 2019, a les 19:27:07 CET, Ben Cooksley va
> escriure:

> > > That's not acceptable.
> >
> > Mind explaining why?
>
> FWIW, everytime I had to deal with translations as developer (like checking
> pot files as well as .po files contents) I found having the web interface and
> its browsing feature very valuable to quickly find what I was looking for,
> over having to locally mess around with svn commands and juggling between
> commandline & file viewers. Including url bookmarks for quick access to
> browsing certain sets of files.
>
> Incidents which I remember right now included:
> * finding out whether extraction scripts were working as intended
> * comparing translations seen by users over what they should see
>
> Are there any other KDE clients of the svn repos still around, besides
> translation system?

The only other clients I am aware of are a small number of websites,
which can be found at /trunk/www/ in SVN.
The list of ones we serve can be found at
https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/binary-factory-tooling/blob/master/staticweb/standard-jobs.yaml#L69

> Perhaps the "full clone" needed for WebSVN could be reduced to the translation
> subtrees, would that improve situation to a degree if possible? (well, you
> surely thought of this yourself, just in case)

Unfortunately WebSVN needs a full copy of the underlying repository to
be able to work.

> For me as developer contributor to projects in KDE spheres, losing the web
> browsing interface for raw translation files would be a regression in
> developer experience.
>
> Cheers
> Friedrich

Regards,