Sysadmin Load Reduction: Code Related Services

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 00:02:47 GMT 2019

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:37 AM Alexander Potashev
<aspotashev at gmail.com> wrote:

> сб, 9 нояб. 2019 г. в 02:51, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org>:
> > In the category of no longer in use, we have the compatibility
> > generator for the kde_projects.xml file. This was introduced when we
> > shutdown Redmine/Chiliproject and migrated to Phabricator, as a way of
> > keeping services that needed to discover a list of KDE Projects
> > functional.
> >
> > As we've since migrated to using YAML files within the
> > sysadmin/repo-metadata repository for both the CI System and
> > kdesrc-build (and with LXR using kdesrc-build to do it's code
> > checkouts) there shouldn't to my knowledge be anything still relying
> > on this (aside from perhaps scripty).
> >
> > I'd therefore like to shut this generator down as well, along with the
> > compaibility redirector running at projects.kde.org (given that it has
> > been some time since we were using that site, and many projects have
> > moved around in the virtual structure since then, making the redirects
> > it is able to offer useless)
>
> Hi Ben,

Hi Alexander,

> I am developing a new version of the "opensrc" plugin for Lokalize [1]
> and it currently depends on kde_projects.xml. Of course I can add new
> code to scan the Git repo instead of just fetching kde_projects.xml,
> however it would be more complicated.
>

> Is there any good reason for killing kde_projects.xml? Would that
> really reduce the workload on Sysadmin team?
> I can't suspect any "moving parts" in the generator that may require
> maintenance.

This is mostly a case of another (small) thing that needs to be kept
running, and fixed should it break.
All of the reductions i've proposed will have a quite small effect,
however cumulatively they will have a much larger effect.

Given that it is duplicative of what we have in the YAML files (which
are substantially easier to maintain) it makes more sense to
standardise on the original source of the information and remove the
legacy compatibility XML file.

> [1] https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/aspotashev/lokalize-opensrc-py.git/
>
> --
> Alexander Potashev