Requesting for guidance

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Nov 9 21:45:00 GMT 2019

On Monday, October 21, 2019 5:34:32 PM CET Yukti Khosla wrote:
> As a beginner, I am a little confused as to how I should start
> contributing. I am well versed in Python, C, C++, and Java.

Hi Yukti,

Your message from october seems to have gone unanswered -- sorry about that.
The general approach in KDE is that you don't need to ask for permission --
just do it. That means that it's also best to "scratch your own itch", which
means fixing something in a program that you personally use. Many of us got
started that way.

The KDE Community wiki has a getting-started / get-involved page:

https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved

This can help you figure out what kind of participation you want. For coding
things, get a development environment set up (in whatever OS you like), clone
some git repositories, and start building. That's not the easiest way to get
started, but it's effective for starting code contributions.

There's conf.kde.in in Delhi early in 2020, if you can travel and want to meet
KDE people, that's a possibility.

[ade]