Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Nov 9 21:21:36 GMT 2019

Am Samstag, 9. November 2019, 21:35:47 CET schrieb Ben Cooksley:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:14 AM Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
>
> <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:

> > > The access isn't being *restricted* at all.
> > > It is just something you have to request be enabled separately, and it
> > > won't be withheld from anyone with a developer account should they
> > > feel they need it.
> >
> > This is a model we also see with rights to kick off build jobs on
> > build.kde.org, and I think it does not work out:
> > having to beg for access and having to wait for access being granted is an
> > obstacle.
> > Even more when this is nowhere documented, but a secret traded only in
> > people's minds.
>
> As a general principle, filing a Sysadmin ticket has always been the
> way to get access to systems (developer accounts being the only
> exception), and the same applies to the CI system. Hence why there is
> no explicit documentation around this.

It stays an obstacle for everyone on first contact though. And makes one feel
in begging position, when one should not, by ideas of the manifesto.
And often enough one needs access _now_, instead of having to hope some
sysadmin is around in the near time.

> > So, by default there are de-facto restrictions experienced, and they get
> > in
> > the way of developer work-flows.
>
> It's a bit unusual that a lack of access to the CI system would impact
> someone's workflow, as the CI system is supposed to automatically
> trigger itself.
> Do you have a specific scenario in mind here?

The usual scenarios where one needs to manually trigger build jobs:
a) build metadata changed (e.g. dependencies)
b) builds failed for bko-internal issues
c) branches changed, need manual first-run trigger

All things normal developers want or need to do once in a while, if they care
for their project on KDE CI.

> > My 2 cent on this matter when it comes to conditions decided about.
> >
> > Otherwise, thanks for all the admin work you are doing here once again :)
> >
> > Cheers
> > Friedrich, who only an hour ago had to help someone kicking off builds
> > jobs on CI, as he once got the access granted after poking a few times
> > informally...
> Fortunately switching to Gitlab CI will resolve that specific scenario
> (needing the DSL Job run when a release is being made) as the DSL Job
> will be rendered unnecessary.

"When a release is being made" should mean, when a new stabe branch has been
created, I guess? That would be an improvement. Still leaves scenarios a) &
b).

Cheers
Friedrich