Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Nov 9 20:14:00 GMT 2019

Am Samstag, 9. November 2019, 19:16:20 CET schrieb Ben Cooksley:
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 6:04 AM Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Samstag, 9. November 2019 01:20:01 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > > On top of this, i'd also like to remove commit access to it for
> > > everyone but translators and those who need to work on the small
> > > number of websites remaining on Subversion and only provision this for
> > > people on an as-needed basis.
> > >
> > > In the next year or so i'd expect the remaining websites to complete
> > > their migrations to Git, after which only translators would receive
> > > access.
> >
> > Restricting access to the translations repository is against the letter of
> > our manifesto which states
> > "All source materials are hosted on infrastructure available to and
> > writable by all KDE contributor accounts"
> > https://manifesto.kde.org/commitments.html
> >
> > AFAIK, "all source materials" includes translations.
> >
> > There are a few reasonable exceptions for this requirement, e.g. for the
> > sources of our websites, but I don't see a good reason for restricting
> > access to the translations.
> >
> > I think restricting access to the translations will create a precedent for
> > restricting access to other source materials and undermines the values
> > stated in our manifesto. Therefore, I don't think we should go down this
> > route.
> The access isn't being *restricted* at all.
> It is just something you have to request be enabled separately, and it
> won't be withheld from anyone with a developer account should they
> feel they need it.

This is a model we also see with rights to kick off build jobs on
build.kde.org, and I think it does not work out:
having to beg for access and having to wait for access being granted is an
obstacle.
Even more when this is nowhere documented, but a secret traded only in
people's minds.
So, by default there are de-facto restrictions experienced, and they get in
the way of developer work-flows.

My 2 cent on this matter when it comes to conditions decided about.

Otherwise, thanks for all the admin work you are doing here once again :)

Cheers
Friedrich, who only an hour ago had to help someone kicking off builds jobs on
CI, as he once got the access granted after poking a few times informally...