Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Nov 9 17:04:39 GMT 2019

On Samstag, 9. November 2019 01:20:01 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On top of this, i'd also like to remove commit access to it for
> everyone but translators and those who need to work on the small
> number of websites remaining on Subversion and only provision this for
> people on an as-needed basis.
>
> In the next year or so i'd expect the remaining websites to complete
> their migrations to Git, after which only translators would receive
> access.

Restricting access to the translations repository is against the letter of our
manifesto which states
"All source materials are hosted on infrastructure available to and writable
by all KDE contributor accounts"
https://manifesto.kde.org/commitments.html

AFAIK, "all source materials" includes translations.

There are a few reasonable exceptions for this requirement, e.g. for the
sources of our websites, but I don't see a good reason for restricting access
to the translations.

I think restricting access to the translations will create a precedent for
restricting access to other source materials and undermines the values stated
in our manifesto. Therefore, I don't think we should go down this route.

Regards,
Ingo