Sysadmin Load Reduction: Code Related Services

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Nov 8 23:50:00 GMT 2019

Hi all,

In the category of code related services, Sysadmin currently supports
a wide-ranging number of services (which makes sense given the nature
of the community). Some of these however may no longer be in use or
will be duplicative of other services following the transition to
Gitlab.

In the category of duplicative, we have our two CGit instances at
cgit.kde.org and packaging.neon.kde.org. Prior to Gitlab, these were
justifiable as there was no other way of browsing scratch/clone
repositories over the web.

With the migration to Gitlab however all repositories will become
browsable through it, meaning it no longer makes sense to offer two
browsers that provide the exact same information (with Gitlab having
greater capabilities). I'd therefore like to shut both of these down
once Code Hosting has transitioned to Gitlab.

In the category of no longer in use, we have the compatibility
generator for the kde_projects.xml file. This was introduced when we
shutdown Redmine/Chiliproject and migrated to Phabricator, as a way of
keeping services that needed to discover a list of KDE Projects
functional.

As we've since migrated to using YAML files within the
sysadmin/repo-metadata repository for both the CI System and
kdesrc-build (and with LXR using kdesrc-build to do it's code
checkouts) there shouldn't to my knowledge be anything still relying
on this (aside from perhaps scripty).

I'd therefore like to shut this generator down as well, along with the
compaibility redirector running at projects.kde.org (given that it has
been some time since we were using that site, and many projects have
moved around in the virtual structure since then, making the redirects
it is able to offer useless)

Any comments regarding the above?

Cheers,
Ben