Climate Impact and KDE

Jens jens at ohyran.se
Fri Sep 20 10:02:44 BST 2019

So recent discussions about Climate Strike raised some very good points
about what KDE as a community can do to decrease its footprint. I want
to thank Friedrich for raising them.

Personally I think this is a rather fun focus for design, community
work and development (and I should probably have thought about it
faster so it could have been squished into the goals voting/suggesting
- but such is life) and just want to toss some ideas around if others
are interested

Community ideas:
Making a clear statement that carbon footprint in travel will be a
factor in travel support from the eV. Basically we know that there is
zero possibility for some to choose, say trains (train from India or
across the Atlantic is not feasible), but adding that as a part of the
application process; "choose best transport with ecology and
environment in mind" can go a long way and for larger events asking
organizers to look up alternatives and present them as part of the "how
to get to X" page (much of this is already done of course but
formalizing it would be awesome).

Decentralized and Online community events. Now I think we all know the
value of meeting IRL, how important that is and how it can't be
replaced, but I would love to explore how we can make online or smaller
co-run events more interesting. Basically trying to time several
smaller local events with each other and do some broadcast of talks and
a way for each event to be able to ask questions of the others talks
(as if they where there). Evaluate and check how we can make social
events but online sort of.

Improve our internal social communication. This sounds a bit guache but
I think looking at how we can make the forum/social media angle more
attractive, perhaps more formal, might help the wider community feel a
part without having to travel to large events (which beyond ecological
impact is often impossible for many, for various reasons)

Technical Ideas:
Look at Plasma and applications energy consumption - and I know it is a
piss in the ocean but its several pisses in the ocean - and how to
either improve that further or create systems to minimize energy
consumption or creating something to more clearly and accessibly show
energy consumption and suggestions to improve it.

Publish our own energy consumption and carbon footprint in regards to
servers etc (Ben Cooksley posted a link and perhaps a clear write up on
the subject would be cool?), and mention/formalize our own commitment
to it.

A closer relationship with Fairphone and Postmarket OS. So, from what I
can gather have a pretty good relationship with Postmarket OS (via
Plasma Mobile), perhaps explore that with regards to Fairphone together
with them? Explore hardware vendors who try to minize their ecological
impact and see if we can either do things with them - OR do things
aimed at their hardware?

(Please note: I am not as technically adept as most here so y'all
probably have way better ideas than me on this subject)

What do you think?

/Jens