KDE should rather act then just "strike" (Re: Should KDE join the (Digital) Global Climate Strike this friday?)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Sep 19 19:58:06 BST 2019

Am Donnerstag, 19. September 2019, 19:35:53 CEST schrieb Nate Graham:
> On 9/19/19 11:05 AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > More, I see all those "strikes" are substitutes for people actually
> > handling or at least for postponing their own handling. Do you really
> > need politicians to decide for you that you should look at what you
> > consume and do and what harm it does to others, and then adopt things
> > accordingly? Are you really all helpless victims of the bad evil system?
> > Not responsible for the damage you create, because "politicians did not
> > put a bin here, their fault that I drop my garbage on the ground"?
>
> It's a common polluter tactic to get people to internalize the idea that
> each individual must take action on their own. And we should take
> individual action!

So you have internalized that? ;)

> But it is not enough, and it never will be.

Yes. And no-where did I (intent to) say otherwise.

In case you missed my point, allow me to repeat it:
asking others to move first, while not moving oneself is not a convincing
argument. To be a serious proposer for a goal, one should show that one
strives to the goal already.

KDE as organization so far has not. And thus so far is not a convincing
supporter of the goal. Like a car company which does blabla about how small
EVs should be used by people rather and how they might build some in the
future, but currently selling big SUVs and wasting lots of resources (and it
does not matter what worker privately do, when it comes to company business).
Having lip-only supporters as allies is not helping, it's hard to trust them.

And actually it harms an organisation as well if it shouts "save the world!"
but has not shown own efforts. Like someone eating meat and mumbling "people
should eat vegetarian". Who should feel motivated to change things for you,
who takes you serious?

If you look at history, politicians will also not be really impressed by
peaceful strikes, other than looking where they need to adapt their image. The
numbers they look at are poll results
And the numbers business looks at are sales results. If you want to change
things with them, use those numbers. Or become politician or business and try
to do the right thing.
And that's also how real strikes work; business not being able to make
business, to pressure business leaders' mind to change.

I would like to see KDE here being long-term serious, and not just doing an
ad-hoc "yes, evilevil, we agree, protest against it, people, are we not also
good (and back to current harmful business)", without existing track.

Cheers
Friedrich