KDE should rather act then just "strike" (Re: Should KDE join the (Digital) Global Climate Strike this friday?)

Jens jens at ohyran.se
Thu Sep 19 14:10:49 BST 2019

Don't you think you're overcomplicating this? Or "crippling all things
but perfection"? The school strike was carried out by kids who, I am
sure, had quite a carbon footprint themselves. At which level of
individual asceticism is it allower to protest systematic problems or
demand that the very few who CAN make an actual chance that will have
an impact do so?

I think you raise some MONUMENTALLY relevant things though which really
should be carried over into the future (no matter how this thread pans
out) - what can we as a community do to improve our own ecological
footprint beyond what is already done?
Just off the top of my head - work even closer with Postmarket OS, as
well as Fairphone (if possible), seems brilliant. Produce software that
is intended to reuse old hardware, or repurpose them. I would love to
see this discussed in another thread btw it seems like a great sort of
focus for development and design.

But that's beside the point. The strike is about showing that a lot of
people consider the ecological and human disaster we are living in
currently needs to be at least halted and for that to happen taken
seriously by politician and businesses at a larger scale - it is not so
much about individual recycling or small actions in itself.

We should improve ourselves of course, but demanding personal
perfection to criticize a systematic imperfection is just dooming all
political actions and protests completely.

Also considering the dire straights we're in - I'd say starting
somewhere - ANYWHERE at this point feels more relevant than trying to
get the perfect run up first and then perhaps missing the race
entirely.

/Jens

TL;DR I would love for KDE to be part of this - but at the same time I
think we should try to carry a discussion onwards about how to improve
KDE's climate effects in the future.