KDE should rather act then just "strike" (Re: Should KDE join the (Digital) Global Climate Strike this friday?)

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Thu Sep 19 13:58:11 BST 2019

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 1:52 PM Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau at kde.org> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 18. September 2019, 18:01:18 CEST schrieb cahfofpai at tuta.io:
> > Hello to all members of the KDE community,
> >
> > this friday (september the 20th) will be a big day in climate protests and
> > hopefully also in human history: People in more than 3500 places worldwide
> > are joining the Global Climate Strike to draw attention to the rising
> > climate crisis.
> >
> > The question I want to ask you is: Should KDE join this protests and show
> > solidarity with the people engaging for this very important topic?
>
> Act first, then demand acts from others, please. And yes, I am aware there are
> individuals here who privately act with environment in mind (he, I would
> consider myself one). But as organisation KDE does not really care currently.
> So it should not pretend it does.

That's a rather dismissive and outright demotivating thing to say to
the community don't you think? There is no formal decision making
process for the community, we do things and as we do things they
become part of our culture and everything we do starts with the
individual. So saying the individual's actions don't matter in the
grand scheme of KDE is not only wrong it's not "KDE".

And then of course the KDE e.V., which can make formal decisions, is
very much in the process of establishing a policy vis a vis the stuff
the e.v. has control over. Such as use of funds.

HS