FSF leadership

David Cahalane davidc at tuta.io
Thu Sep 19 09:14:38 BST 2019

KDE would be the first organization not directly linked to FSF to issue a public statement on this. It would also come over a week after RMS' statements gained media attention, and several days after his resignation.

If we wanted to voice our desire for a more open FOSS community, we should have done it before RMS resigned. OpenSUSE did exactly that, issuing a statement on Sept.14 simply arguing that free software must be free of abuse. No mention of Stallman, the FSF, or MIT.

Making a statement similar to Red Hat's would be seen by the FSF as an unwelcome intrusion into an internal discussion. A statement simply supporting the FSF could be misconstrued as mourning the loss of RMS.

The worst thing we could do is draw attention to what was said at Akademy 2009. If we didn't take enough action then, that is our failure. Ten years later, associating ourselves with those remarks can only cause undue harm to KDE.

I'm glad to see RMS go, and I sincerely hope FSF can change into a more inclusive and more effective organization. I know many in KDE feel the same. But it's not our place to put additional pressure on the FSF at this time. They already took a big step forward by getting rid of RMS, even though it may have been personally difficult for many of them.

Sep 19, 2019, 04:08 by jens at ohyran.se: