Retirement of notes.kde.org

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Sep 16 07:03:31 BST 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 5:14 AM Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Ben,

Hi Valorie,

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 11:58 AM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Good evening all,
>>
>> Currently we're in the situation where the software we use to run
>> notes.kde.org is both difficult to maintain, as well as support (for
>> things like document confidentiality for various groups within KDE).
>>
>> We'd therefore like to retire the service, replacing it with the
>> Realtime Text Editor within Nextcloud (share.kde.org). Internally this
>> editor uses Markdown.
>>
>> You can find a demo of this at https://share.kde.org/s/gtFcRmwetRKqTZJ
>> (no login required)
>>
>> It would be appreciated if everyone could please test the realtime
>> text editor and let us know if they encounter any issues.
>>
>> In terms of feature differences, we are aware that
>> highlighting/authorship information won't be retained by the new
>> editor, and there can occasionally be problems when editing the same
>> line with someone else simultaneously.
>>
>> If everyone is okay with this we'd like to go ahead with shutting down
>> notes.kde.org as soon as possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben Cooksley
>> KDE Sysadmin
>

> I noticed that most every BoF at Akademy this year used notes to link the BoF notes. Will all these notes be just disappeared? If so, that is really unfortunate. There is a reason many of us continue to use notes. One can see who typed what, one can see the history of the doc - and other points mentioned on https://share.kde.org/s/gtFcRmwetRKqTZJ.
>
> ::sigh::

The content of notes.kde.org will be exported - likely in ODT format -
prior to us shutting it down.
The resulting files will be made available on share.kde.org.

If there are things which need to be resolved prior to the shutdown of
notes.kde.org we can look into those.

While it is unfortunate that the links will be broken, we should be
able to make them relatively close (ie. send the user to a public view
of the folder on share.kde.org which contains all of the content
exported from notes.kde.org) so the user isn't too far from the
original link.

In terms of feature regressions i'm tracking, I see the following:
- Lack of editor highlighting
- No stored history aside from Nextcloud versioning
- Slightly harder to create new documents

Any other comments on this which I missed from the document?

Cheers,
Ben