Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Thu Jul 4 22:11:44 BST 2019

Hi,

On 2019-07-04 22:49, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On donderdag 4 juli 2019 22:18:32 CEST Elv1313 . wrote:
>> Ok, lots of email in the last few hours, lets recap a bit.
>>
>> 1. "Top" projects don't like GitLab issues because they are too
>> simple. Can we try to make a comprehensive list of issues on a pad
>> somewhere? So far, I see:
>
> I did make a comparison between bugzilla as it is current and gitlab;
> I don't think anyone could conclude from that there is any chance of
> gitlab's issues feature being capable of being improved to the point
> where it can replace bugzilla. It is, simply enough, _not designed to
> do that_. It is not designed to be a bug database, it's a developer
> task tracker. Not a good one, but it is NOT a bug tracker. Everyone
> should stop thinking it is. We've had enough mails today to prove that
> beyond all doubt.
>
> Nobody should advocate anymore for replacing bugzilla with gitlab's
> issues. That ship has sunk.
>
>> 2. For point 1.3, maybe this is where the solution is. @Boud, you
>> mention that Krita "ask" failed. Can you provide more insight here on
>> why?
>
> It failed, as I have said, because the software was modeled on
> stackoverflow. That is, on users helping each other. Users cannot help
> other users with support questions; they do not have the knowledge for
> that.
>
>> Is there anything to learn so we can try better?
>
> A good user support system is smart and offers a shortlist of most
> common answers to any question. It does not require logging in for the
> user. Zoho helpdesk might be a good user support system; none of the
> open source user support systems is usable. Me and the rest of the
> Krita team looked at all of them.
>
>> How about
>> redirecting users directly to a ticket system for top-10 projects?
>> Ticket systems are overkill (and problematic) for 95% of the KDE
>> projects, but seem a step forward for larger projects. Or maybe send
>> people to "a forum" first? For my largest non-KDE project (AwesomeWM),
>> when we switched to GitHub (from FlySpray), we updated the contact
>> page of the website to point to StackOverflow.com, SuperUser.com and
>> Reddit above the GitHub Issue link. This worked fine for a relatively
>> medium-large user base (of geeks).
>
> AwesomeWM's userbase is exceptionally technically capable. Our users
> are just about capable of shouting out on Reddit things like "Help! I
> have an issue! Help me! I have an assignment due tomorrow!" Without
> giving more detail.
>
>> 3. The login (identity.kde.org) issue. Maybe I am not on enough
>> mailing lists, but what is the situation regarding generic OAuth2
>> login for a subset of non-developer services? Is it only an
>> integration issue or a political one? Being able to login with
>> Google/Facebook/GitHub/Yahoo/Microsoft/GitLab/Gnome(?!) accounts with
>> a path to upgrade to "proper" account seems to currently be the
> [...]

I wanted to write a lengthy reply, but Boud got already all my points
covered,
I just agree.

For mergify.io and other automation:

I think the bots you want for the development stuff, like automating
merge request
reviews (are all tests fine, ...) are good to have, but this is
unrelated to
user bug reports. I doubt it will hurt to have user bug reports on a
different
system for this, as long as we have trivial integration like "I merge a
thing with
a BUG.... keyword => the bug gets resolved and the merge request
linked").

Greetings
Christoph

--