Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Thu Jul 4 18:06:47 BST 2019

On 2019-07-04 19:02, Nate Graham wrote:
> On 7/4/19 10:39 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>> Is it really true that gitlab makes reporting bugs easier for our
>> users? I.e., does it offer easier login, an easier way to add screen
>> shots and screen recordings or crash logs?
>
> In my experience, yes. Being able to use a single account for
> everything is a big benefit. And being able to add multiple images and
> files inline via drag-and-drop is a huge improvement over Bugzilla
> IMO. Then again if Bugzilla 6 offers this, that will remove one
> advantage of GitLab issues.

I actually think the state on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ is quiet
usable, they tuned it the last X years.
But yes, a lot of this is missing in the current Bugzilla 5 :(

>> Is it really true that gitlab makes it easier for our users to make
>> reports of a better quality? Like, better wizards, forms, support for
>> smarter templates, more ways to cross-check a bug report with other
>> bug reports, or cross-check the internal consistency? Is it easier for
>> a user reporting a bug on gitlab to tell us which OS, version of OS,
>> version of the application they are using?
>>
>> Does gitlab offer convenience features for our users like replying by
>> email? (I know that some people think email is on the way out, but in
>> real life, everyone has email -- and if it were going out -- is there
>> integration with instant messaging?) Does gitlab make it easier to be
>> notified of events related to the issue?
>
> I'm not sure about these.
>

>> We all know that gitlab has a rich text editor. This is modern, but
>> how important is that, actually? And how important is it to have a
>> rich text editor in our issue reporting system right now? Are we
>> experience a decline in the number of user reports because more and
>> more people don't want to use bugzilla?
>>

> Anecdotally, yes. I very commonly hear users on social media write and
> say things like "I don't file KDE bugs anymore because Bugzilla is
> ancient and incomprehensible". Though to be fair, they also commonly
> say that it's because we don't do a good enough job triaging bugs, or
> that KDE developers are too mean and abrasive when dealing with users,
> so take it with a grain of salt.

Actually, do we really want that every user bug reporter opens an
account on invent.kde.org?

I actually think the split of accounts between phabricator/gitlab vs.
bugzilla is no bad but a good feature.

Greetings
Christoph

--