Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla

Bhushan Shah bshah at mykolab.com
Thu Jul 4 10:49:15 BST 2019

Everyone, let's take a step back.

Original discussion was, if project X can use gitlab issues instead of
bugzilla? If the developers/maintainers prefer?

Potential arguments to which are either,

- No they can't because we forbid it in our manifesto or code of conduct
  or policies
- No they can't because it makes life of other developer harder
- No they can't because it makes life of other user harder

As we stand neither of this arguments apply ... We have no written point
in KDE manifesto which allows community to force a developer tool of
their choice on new or existing project, as long as tool or service is
hosted within KDE infrastructure and doesn't cost sysadmins or community
resources/time maintaining that service. It is important have this
freedom, otherwise next day someone can come up with idea that all
projects should use cmake or autotools or qmake, because all of KDE
community should be using same buildsystem.

- Gitlab is hosted on KDE infrastructure and each KDE contributors can
  access the service using their KDE identity account.
- Gitlab service is/will be actively maintained by KDE sysadmin team and
  using it as bugzilla is not going to cost KDE e.V. any extra money.

If developer/maintainer collectively thinks that using gitlab as bug
tracker makes their life easier instead of depending on bugzilla I don't
understand why other developers would have a problem with that? It's not
making their life difficult at all if they want to contribute, as
mentioned in earlier point Gitlab is accessible to all users and
developers.

As for users, let users decide? I mean we can't speak for all of our
userbase confidently that they love bugzilla and will stop reporting
bugs for other components if certain other project/application starts
using Gitlab for bugtracking, can either of you?

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 08:37:34PM +0200, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Besides, it's already too easy to make a bug report. Getting more bug
> reports is not a priority for me; at this I would prefer to have less
> interaction between developers and users than more, because we're
> going crazy right now.

This is your personal opinion.

> And that's the important thing. Bugzilla is a developer tool, not a
> user tool. We must have easy tools to triage, query, sort, modify sets
> of reports. Bugzilla isn't perfect for that either, but the options
> gitlab gives for handling issues are so limited.

If bugzilla is developer tool, gitlab is also developer tool, let
developer or maintainer decide how to best use it.

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 10:20:34AM +0200, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On the other hand, we also need to use tools that make our work
> possible. Me being able to do my work, my developers being able to do
> their work is also important. These tools are not for marketing, they
> are for making the development process go better. And not just for
> newcomers, but also for the people actually shouldering the load of
> triaging ~150 reports a month.

If Kaidan, Calindori or Plasma Mobile uses the Gitlab for issue reporting
because of either a) choice of maintainer or b) choice of specific
sub-community, that decision doesn't affect krita, okular or other KDE
applications.

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 10:39:15AM +0200, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> In our company we multiple times reviewed bug trackers (for migrating
> from Bugzilla), but none actually had a good enough feature set to be
> considered, beside perhaps Jira (which is non-free/open).
>
> I would wait for the Bugzilla 6 release to judge if the UI arrives in
> the 21th century before making any decisions what to use. Just that
> GitLab is more modern doesn't give it all the features one needs.

This is your personal opinion.

In general, I respect everyone's personal opinion that bugzilla at
moment superior to the gitlab issues, but at same time I also want to
respect other developers opinion/choices as long as they abide by the
KDE manifesto written and supported by our community.

Thanks

--
Bhushan Shah
http://blog.bshah.in