Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Wed Jul 3 06:31:48 BST 2019

On 02.07.19 23:11, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimarts, 2 de juliol de 2019, a les 14:55:41 CEST, Luigi Toscano va escriure:
>> Hi,
>>
>> one of the main point of the gitlab migration has been so far the replacement
>> for phabricator. We didn't discuss about bug tracking.
>>
>> Despite this, I've seen a few projects using issues as replacement for bugzilla.
>>

>> We can all debate which is better, whether bugzilla or the gitlab issues, but
>> please consider that:
>>
>> - having to ways to report a bug makes like of everyone more complicated for
>> users reporting bug who need to find the proper place, and for bug triager
>>
>> - drkonqi still continue to report to bugzilla. Future versions of drkonqi can
>> be fixed to support the new system and we would need also a proxy for older
>> versions of drkonqi, but until such thing exist, a migration is out of question.
>>

>> My suggestion right now is to disable issues completely, or if they need to be
>> enable to allow us to replace phabricator tasks, then to reduce their scope to
>> this.

Having used gitlab issues quiet a lot in the last months for Kdenlive, I
think it would be sad to completely disable them. Making them accessible
to project members/developers only seems like a good compromise.

I like to use them as a development coordination tool, and for us it's a
good replacement for phabricator's boards. I also find them more
intuitive to use than phabricator, referencing an issue in a commit is
as simple as putting #issue_number, while I never manage to reference or
close phabricator tasks/diffs from commit messages despite checking the
online doc (but that's probably my fault so not a real argument)...

Having the possibility to attach tasks to milestones is also a nice feature.

So +1 for developer only if this has to change.

Thanks, Jean-Baptiste