Testbed Discourse Server For Trial discuss.kde.org.uk

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 08:02:40 BST 2019

Hi all,

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 10:48 AM Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>
wrote:

> Nate Graham ha scritto:
> > On 6/29/19 4:04 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> >> Hi Jonathan,
> >> Thank you for setting this up!
> >> I've recently had the opportunity to experience Discourse in action in
> >> another community, and found it to fulfill most of the things we found
> >> lacking in both of our current forum and mailing list software (which
> >> makes sense given that they're both age-old and haven't seen much - if
> >> any - exciting feature development in years).
> >> So I (personally, not speaking for the board) would really like us to
> >> test it out and see if we can replace first our forum and hopefully some
> >> day Mailman with Discourse.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Thomas
> >>

> > +1, I'm also quite in favor of this. Having used it in other
> communities, I
> > find that it works well as a sort of half-forum-half-mailing-list tool
> that
> > can succeed in replacing both.
>
> I may have already asked this: do we have a plan to evaluate also
> hyperkitty
> (mailman 3 frontend) before completely replacing also the mailing lists? It
> provides a forum-like interface.
>
> --
> Luigi

I'm using the Mailman 3/hyperkitty for genealogy mail lists at
Rootsweb.com. I was not in on the setup, which IMO is not done very well at
Rootsweb, so maybe these comments are unfair.

So far though, I Do Not Like MM3, or hyperkittly. If there is a way to
administer lists via the commandline, as we have now with Listadmin, I've
not found it. Hyperkitty (besides being an extraordinarily bad name) is not
a good forum replacement at ALL. The search barely works, for starters.
True, the way our KDE list archives is set up is bad as well.

That said, I'm not sold on Discourse. I've tried the one ubuntu has set up
[1], and have not yet figured out how to get the email interface to work
correctly. Aha, while clicking around in it I see that they didn't enable
that feature. I find Discourse hard to move around it. I keep having to
mess with the URL to get back to Home. So far, old mailman lists +
IRC/T/Matrix wins.

Whether Discourse could replace our KDE forums is an open question.

Valorie

1. https://discourse.ubuntu.com/

--
http://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her