Testbed Discourse Server For Trial discuss.kde.org.uk

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Sat Jun 29 23:04:14 BST 2019

On 6/19/19 5:44 PM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> I've set up a Discourse server for a trail to see if it's something we
> should add to KDE's infrastructure.
>
> Discourse is a modern Free Software web forum and mailing list app.
>
> Give it a trial now at http://discuss.kde.org.uk/
>
> If you want to be an admin do ask me.
>
> If you want a new Category (equivalent to a forum topic or mailing list)
> do ask me.
>
> There's no integration with identity (yet) so you'll need to set up a
> new account.
>
> If you want to use it as a mailing list replacement you need to Watch
> the category.  Categories will need to have an e-mail address added to
> be able to start new threads on from e-mail so ask if you want that.  To
> get a mailing list experience turn it on in Preferences -> emails ->
> Enable mailing list mode
>
> Eventually I would like to see this replace forum.kde.org
> <http://forum.kde.org> and allow projects to move their mailing lists
> over to it as they wish.
>
> Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for setting this up!
I've recently had the opportunity to experience Discourse in action in
another community, and found it to fulfill most of the things we found
lacking in both of our current forum and mailing list software (which
makes sense given that they're both age-old and haven't seen much - if
any - exciting feature development in years).
So I (personally, not speaking for the board) would really like us to
test it out and see if we can replace first our forum and hopefully some
day Mailman with Discourse.
Thanks,
Thomas