Facebook Business verification

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Sun Jun 23 17:56:00 BST 2019

On domingo, 23 de junio de 2019 18:16:42 (CEST) Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 June 2019 22:33:26 PDT Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> > > Has an open source project already undergone this process or experience
> > > with
> > > it?
> >
> > This is what the e.V. is there for for KDE. Do you want the KDE e.V. to
> > handle this for you? In this case please get in touch with the board at
> > kde-ev-board at kde.org.
>
> I think before the e.V. signs the Business Verification, the question is
> whether there's a solution for open source applications.

Do you mean open-sourced, federated social media platforms? Because we do
those too:

Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Diaspora*: https://joindiaspora.com/people/9c3d1a454919ef06
PeerTube: https://peertube.mastodon.host/accounts/kde/

There are several problems with using exclusively open, federated platforms
though:

(a) Audiences on these sites are much smaller than on the traditional,
centralised and closed platforms

(b) Audiences on open platforms are usually much more FLOSS-savvy and know all
about KDE stuff already. This may sound good, but it isn't, because you end up
preaching to the choir, when what you really want to do is reach new
audiences.

Unfortunately, to grow your user base, you also have to go to platforms where
you will find new audiences, i.e. the closed, centralised ones. You have to use
Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.

That , by the way, is one of the reason Promo exists: we wade into the mucky
waters of horrible social media platforms (I can confirm they are horrible) so
you don't have to.

As for Maik's message, if you want to have a good social media presence
without the hassle of actually having to use Twitter, Facebook and other
disagreeable things like that, Lydia is right: the Board will solve the legal
stuff, and I will add: Promo can do the composing of posts and actual posting
for you.

You can tell us what you want to post and when you want to post it. We will fit
it into the best day and time, submit drafts and images to you and get it
done.

We already do this for Kdenlive, Krita, Kontact, KDE Connect, Plasma, etc. and
it is working well for all of them.

Cheers

Paul
--