kde-community Digest, Vol 75, Issue 6

David Hurka david.hurka at mailbox.org
Thu Jun 20 10:13:35 BST 2019

On Thursday, 20 June 2019 08:25:53 GMT aacid at kde.org wrote:
> El dimarts, 18 de juny de 2019, a les 15:05:50 CEST, Boudewijn Rempt va
escriure:
> > I was just entering a bug for Krita when I suddenly realized why I'm
> > getting two, three or more reports a day with no information in the
> > description at all. The duplicates block is so large that it pushes the
> > description field out of sight -- and the result is that people don't see
> > and try to cram their entire report in the summary line.
> >
> > Would it be possible to switch the two blocks in the bug report template?
>
> Are you sure that this is what happening?
>
> I mean before you start writing the summary you can clearly see the
> Description field. Sure when you write something into it the duplicates
> area may push it away, but do people forget about the Description so fast?
>
> I don't think it makes sense moving the duplicates block after Description,
> the idea of the duplicates block is that you write the subject, then you
> get a suggestion of duplicates and say "oh yes, this is a duplicate of my
> bug" and thus you don't need to write the whole big text.

Usually you say "no, these are different bugs." Then you might think "I have
to explain my bug some more to make it clear."

But the duplicates block just suggests other bugs, instead of going away.

> Maybe we can explore making the duplicate list
> smaller/scrollable/collapsible?
>
> Also, if people are submitting the bug, they are scrolling down, seeing the
> Description field and ignoring it anyway.
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert

I think the duplicates block should be less a motivation to write a long bug
summary.

Just some thoughts:

1. It should order bugs by similarity better than it does now. Example:
New Krita bug “Tool Selection is a bit buggy”
This bug is unlikely to be related to “Tool Selection is a bit buggy” in
product Okular, but likely to be related to “Confusing UX” in Krita, which
mentions buggy Tool Selection in the Description.
2. It should explain why it thinks the bug is a duplicate. Example:
Krita bug “Confusing UX” mentions “buggy Tool Selection” in the description.
3. The duplicates block should not appear instantly, but when the user
defocuses the summary field. That’s how I knew it from other forums, and why
the duplicates block felt annoying to me when I used Bugzilla first. (You can
try it at mikrocontroller.net/topic/new, but don’t click “Beitrag
veröffentlichen”)

Cheers, David