Anonymous contributions

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Apr 16 21:22:18 BST 2019

 ---- On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:16:40 -0600 Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote ----
 > On dinsdag 16 april 2019 22:10:54 CEST Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
 >

 > > I wonder if the commit push hook could not actually compare against
 > > identity.kde.org to check for validness of name & email address, at least for
 > > the committer. The schema there already has name & email-address, perhaps
 > > could be extended to allow configuring custom commit name & email address for
 > > those who need.
 >
 > You cannot do that, because new contributors aren't in identity, necessarily.

Well, it seems like there are two use cases:

1. Verify that an someone with commit access has their git set up correctly (e.g. don't use work identify for KDE). For this we can verify against the info on file at identity.kde.org
2. Verify that a patch from a more casual contributor has appropriate correct authorship information. The contributor responsible for reviewing and/or landing the patch is currently expected to do this.

It seems like the hookscript can catch the first case, but the second one will be in the hands of a human.

Nate