Anonymous contributions

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Apr 16 20:38:04 BST 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019, 03:03 Boudewijn Rempt, <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On dinsdag 16 april 2019 15:15:48 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> >  ---- On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 02:14:31 -0600 Boudewijn Rempt <boud at kde.org>
> wrote ----
> >  >
> >  > There's another, related thing. We've got a "full name" checking git
> hook which tries to force commits to have "real names".
> >  >
> >  > This hook is, of course, broken: no software developer can ever make
> a check for names that's not brokenm because there _are no rules for
> names_. This check thinks that a full need needs to have two parts
> separated by a space: a first name and a surname. This assumption is untrue
> for instance for many Tamil people.
> >
> > In fact this is not an academic concern. We have a fairly active
> contributor by the name of "Shubham" who, due to the commit hookscript
> filter, has been forced to manufacture a last name and go by a fake name!
> Maybe we should turn it off.
> >

> Of course it's not academic, and yes, it should be turned off. It is
> impossible to write a check whether some string is a valid or real name.

This hook was implemented in the first place to ensure that people had
correctly setup Git on their local machine.

On some versions of Git (maybe all?) it will automatically use the local
user account name as the name.

This leads to people committing as "me", "user" and "nobody" without
meaning to, but which still leads to a situation in which the metadata of a
commit has ended up being useless.

I'd rather maintain a small list of exceptions for those who do have names
without a space in them to ensure that for the vast majority of our users
do correctly get informed they need to fix their local setup.

Cheers,
Ben