Anonymous contributions

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Thu Apr 11 19:56:03 BST 2019

On 2019-04-11 20:36, David Edmundson wrote:
> We would need to ask a lawyer.
> I only know enough to know that I don't know enough.
Hi,

independent of any lawyer, my 2 cents:

As we did never verify any names nor identities, is the discussion not
mood?

We already accept contributions, by lets make up "Max Schmidt
<mycoolalias at gmail.com>", if he/her/... sends in a reasonable patch.

We never check: is that the real name? Is this person existing?

I actually started to accept "alias" named contributions after asking
me:
I am more happy with a person that tells he/her/... uses an alias or do
I want to be lied to with some fake name that sounds ok?

For re-licensing and similar stuff:

I tried to re-license parts of KTextEditor in the past.
Real names help close to nothing if the mail addresses are no longer
valid or the people don't respond, even if valid.
You just can't track them, unfortunately there are more "Max Schmidt"s
around on the world then lets say "Christoph Cullmann"s.

If you want to re-license and the last known mail addresses don't work
out for you, you are doomed with or without names.
Actually, from a legal stand-point I am not even sure if some "I am ok
with re-licensing" mail from some random mail address would be legally
ok,
I doubt that, you can't do other kind of contracts with plain text mails
either, at least e.g. not in Germany.

But that's something a lawyer knows best, true.

Greetings
Christoph