Shutdown of paste.kde.org

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Feb 2 19:45:40 GMT 2019

Hi all,

For some time now Sysadmin has been aware that the application we use
to run paste.kde.org is unmaintained, and therefore represents a
security risk. Additionally, for a long time now we've been forced to
require people to login in order to create pastes there, due to the
severity of the abuse we've experienced.

Because this makes it functionally equivalent to the pastebin
functionality included in both Phabricator
(phabricator.kde.org/paste/) and Gitlab (invent.kde.org/snippets)
we've decided that it would be best if paste.kde.org were to be
discontinued.

We'll be shutting this service down in approximately one weeks time.
Should anyone be using it to store content for long term purposes we'd
advise you to migrate it to either Phabricator, Gitlab or somewhere
more permanent (like a wiki) before the shutdown.

Following the shutdown we will be erasing the database, so any pastes
not saved elsewhere before this time will be lost.

Should anyone have any questions regarding this, please let us know.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin