Licensing policy change proposal

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 18:21:45 GMT 2019

> On 27 Jan 2019, at 15:04, Krešimir Čohar <kcohar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This email puts forth for your consideration a proposal to change our current licensing policy to accommodate three more licenses that cover the new photographic selection of wallpapers in https://phabricator.kde.org/D18078.
>
> The licenses are:
> - the Pexels license: https://www.pexels.com/photo-license/

While I *personally* agree with this license, it will be probably considered non-free (because you can't resell the photo alone), in particular by Linux distributions.

> - the Unsplash license: https://unsplash.com/license, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsplash#License

Looks good to me. "The right to compile photos from Unsplash to replicate a similar or competing service" doesn't really affect us when we're using individual photos. I think it doesn't even concern copyright but "database rights". And everything else is basically CC0.

> - the Creative Commons Zero License: https://spdx.org/licenses/CC0-1.0.html

CC0 should be uncontroversial, it should be definitely allowed by our license policy.

IANAL etc.

--
Nicolás