Discourse

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Wed Nov 28 06:36:11 GMT 2018

Il giorno Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:23:42 +0200
Ilmari Lauhakangas
<ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org> ha scritto:

> step to recruit someone to upgrade the existing forum to the latest
> version of phpBB (which has evolved during all this time after all)?

The main pain problem because it's not a "one click" update is mainly
because the forum has quite a bit of custom code:

- So called "mods" that would need to get replaced (older phpBB mods
  replaced files directly, but now there's a plugin structure)
- A whole swath of in house code, like Brainstorm etc. (in hindsight,
  doing that much extra stuff on top wasn't the best idea, but again
  hindsight is 20/20).
- The theme (which would need an overhaul anyway)

So upgrading is the "easy" step. Upgrading without too much breakage is
far harder.

> The main problem in any case will be getting enough engagement. I
> don't think I have ever received a reply from a KDE developer in the
> current forums.

In the past, it happened more than once. Aside very vibrant forums like
Krita's, I've personally poked people to answer in the forums (and they
did).

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B