Closing NEEDSINFO bugs after 30 days

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Nov 16 13:11:29 GMT 2018

(Pulling this back to the NEEDSINFO thread since it sounds unrelated
to what Luigi was writing about in the Policy on stale bugs thread)

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:51 PM Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> I know it's well-meant, and it does help to get old bugs resolved -- but it
> really should use a script that checks whether the original reporter has added
> a comment since it was set to needinfo, and in that case just reopen it.
>
> I know that the script that was intended to do that didn't work, and I've
> tried to figure out whether I could fix it, but failed in that. But right now,
> the closing to WORKSFOME plays havoc with my bugzilla routine -- and worse, it
> makes me hesitate to put bugs in the NEEDINFO state.

So... the current behavior is:

- human sets needsinfo
- if no human responds within 15 days since last update the bot posts
a reminder (this can repeat ad infinitum if the status doesn't get
changed away from needsinfo but comments get posted)
- if no human responds within further 15 days the bot closes the bug
(which may also happen if information was provided by the status was
not changed in 30 days)

e.g.

- human set needsinfo
- 15 days pass: bot posts reminder
- reporter comments
- 15 days pass: bot posts reminder
- 15 days pass: bot auto-closes

If I understand your suggestion you'd like it to switch automatically
out of needsinfo upon comment from the original reporter?

e.g.

- human sets needsinfo
- 15 days pass: bot posts reminder
- reporter comments
- N days pass: bug gets automatically dropped back to whatever the
previous state was?