Policy on stale bugs (was Re: Closing NEEDSINFO bugs after 30 days)

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Fri Nov 16 09:37:08 GMT 2018

Andrew Crouthamel ha scritto:
> I've been spending a lot of time browsing, searching, and filtering our bugs
> in Bugzilla. One of the areas I've found that could use improvement, are the
> NEEDSINFO bugs. Often, bugs are placed into this status, either awaiting
> additional information or backtraces, never to be updated again. We have
> NEEDSINFO bugs dating back to 2009.

Hi,
the (semi)automated process which pings and then closes NEEDINFO bugs was
implemented, but I've noticed another policy which was never discussed (as far
as I know) here: bugs opened for a while

I disagree with this policy, and I'm not alone (at least another maintainer
asked for his product to be excluded):
- not all projects distinguished between CONFIRMED and UNCONFIRMED (now
REPORTED), so it's possible that a perfectly valid bug or request (especially
requests) seems stale. You may say that it's easy to flip the status again.
I'd say that it's a unneeded step.
- at most the script could add a new comment asking for updates, but not
immediately change the status out of the blue.
- as mentioned, it was not discussed.

Please disable it for now, or just enable it for projects who explicitly wants
it for now.

--
Luigi