Bugzilla template problems

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Fri Oct 5 19:23:32 BST 2018

Kai Uwe Broulik skreiv 05.10.2018 09:16:

> I find it odd that you can write meaningful bugreports using DrKonqi
> that include version information and find the correct component
> whereas the "Report a bug" in "Help" just opens bugzilla webpage.
>
> It does fill out the correct product and version but could surely be
> improved or turned into a proper wizard with some tips and tricks and
> duplicate finder and what not.

And perhaps have it work for the ‘System Settings’ modules too? It’s
such a pain to find the correct components (which have cryptic names,
like ‘kcm_kdnssd’) (pop quiz: what’s the correct component for the
‘Display and Monitor’ module?).

Or just right-clicking on an icon on the task bar (or in an application
launcher) and select ‘Report Bug...’?

BTW, is having to enter detailed metainfo in Bugzilla *really*
neccesary? Currently, even for simple bugs, I have to enter:

   Product
   Component
   Version
   Severity
   Platform
   OS
   Summary
   Description
     KDE Plasma Version
     KDE Frameworks Version
     Qt Version

That’s a pretty high bar for bug reporting, e.g. when you just want to
just report a simple typo. And when *editing* an existing bug report,
you have these additional fields:

   Status
   Alias
   Importance
   Target Milestone
   Assignee
   URL
   Keywords
   Personal Tags
   Depends on
   Blocks
   Latest Commit
   Version Fixed In
   Flags

As a comparison, at GitHub, to file a bug, you just have to enter:

   Title
   Description

And it seems to work fine. Sure, *sometimes* the Platform
(openSUSE-specific bugs) or OS (Windows) is relevant, but then you’ll
typically mention it in the actual description (or just ask the
reporter), but *typically* it’s of no use. The same is true for the
Version. And the 8-level Severity rating is usually completely ignored
(perhaps except for ‘critical’ severity).

So couldn’t Bugzilla be simplified so that we only ask for information
on a ‘need to know’ basis?

--
Regards,
Karl Ove Hufthammer